Before you can decide if coaching is right for you, you must first understand what it is (and isn’t).
Coaching helps people set larger, more rewarding goals, develop a strategy to achieve them, and provides support and accountability throughout the process. It’s not unlike having a personal trainer or an athletic coach – its about facilitating growth and change, but in a personal or business context. The achievement of goals is something that can happen more quickly as a result of the coaching partnership.
A quick word about what coaching isn’t. It isn’t ’counseling’ in the sense that it doesn’t look back to what has happened in the past. It looks ahead to what can be accomplished in the future. Its also not ‘consulting’ or even ‘advising’, per se’, as it doesn’t assume that the coach has all answers. Its more about understanding, learning, and discovery on the part of the client. (That being said, there will be times when the coach offers advice, particularly when its specifically requested by the client. This is often the case in financial coaching situations, which do tend to be more about teaching and advising.) Finally, although coaching can be focused on problem solving, it is more concerned with goal setting and making movement toward meeting those goals – your goals as the client.
If you can answer ‘yes’ to any of these questions you may benefit from coaching:
- Are you struggling with your finances (e.g., in debt, no budget) or just need to plan for the future?
- Are you getting ready to go to college, or maybe just graduating, and not sure what career path is best for you?
- Are you in the midst of a career transition – perhaps you’re out of work or seeking a new career direction?
- Do you want to pursue a different path for your life but are unsure what direction to go?
- Are you thinking about starting a business or professional practice but not sure where to begin?
- Are you approaching or in your early retirement years and realize that you aren’t as financially prepared as you thought?
- Do you want to work during “retirement”, perhaps in a field that you’re passionate about or in your own business, but are unsure about what to do or where to start?
Then work with me as your personal financial, career/life, business or retirement coach!
Retirement Stewardship Coaching can take several forms. It can focus on finances, career, business, retirement, or any combination of them. And you can work with me as your personal coach for any of those areas of your life. Our work together is accomplished during scheduled telephone conferences or via Skype. (Arrangements can be made to meet in person if necessary.) Between sessions, you take action toward achieving your goals, with email and phone support as needed. Because I coach from a Christian perspective, I acknowledge and actively seek God’s power and direction as we work together to accomplish your goals, but I happily work with non-Christians as well.
If you think coaching might be right for you, finding out is easy.
To learn more about the different types of coaching services I offer go here. Or, you can just e-mail me or use my Contact page and I’ll schedule your first session where you can find out more experience coaching first-hand. Then, if we agree to continue, we’ll decide on the focus area and coaching package that is right for you and get started. You can also find out more about me and my background and qualifications here.
Whatever your goal, coaching can make a big difference in your retirement stewardship!